Last month, Jim Phillips, P.E. of Brainfiller and Associate Director of Electrical Safety UK Limited ran one hour class explaining the 2021 NFPA 70E update. The class was a huge success and was in fact attended by delegates from over 18 different countries.
Jim Phillips, P.E. takes you through the major changes to the 2021 Edition of NFPA 70E. This one-hour video covers the major changes to the 2021 Edition of NFPA 70E such as:
- Revised Definitions
- Reorganization of Article 110.
- Moving Priority from Article 105 to 110.1 to emphasize the importance
- Addition of informational note regarding online training.
- New note regarding multi-employer work sites – more than one employer can be responsible.
- New section about Electrically Safe Work Policy.
- There is a New Sub Section about Equipment Use. Clarification regarding “Block or relive stored non-electrical energy devices”.
- New task added to Table 130.5(C) “operating a circuit breaker or switch for the first time under all conditions is listed as “Yes” regarding likelihood of an arc flash incident.
- A new informational note was added regarding the arc rating of outer layers used for safety or protection from the elements.
- New examples of risk reduction methods when testing absence of voltage with an incident energy greater than arc rating of commercially available arc rated PPE.
- A new Article 360 regarding capacitor safety was added.
Continuing Education Credit
NFPA 70E – Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace states that retraining in safety-related work practices and applicable changes in this standard shall be performed at intervals not to exceed 3 years. This time frame is so employees can keep up to date with the triennial revision cycle of this important electrical safety standard.
CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDIT Need Continuing Education Credit? Take the online version of the 2021 NFPA 70E Major Changes course and receive 1.0 PDH / 0.1 CEU Credit including Certificate of Completion and Course Transcript. FREE ONLINE CLASS: https://learn.brainfiller.com/courses/2021nfpa70emajorchanges
Jim Phillips and Brainfiller
For almost 40 years, Jim has been helping tens of thousands of people around the world understand electrical power system design, analysis and safety. Having taught thousands of seminars during his career to people from all seven continents (Yes, Antarctica is included!), he has developed a reputation for being one of the best trainers and public speakers in the electric power industry.
Jim is the vice chair of IEEE 1584 – IEEE Guide for Performing Arc Flash Hazard Calculations as well as a member of NFPA 70E Technical Committee, the international chairman – International Electrotechnical Commission IEC TC78 – Live Working and also is on the steering committee – IEEE/NFPA Arc Flash Collaborative Research Project.
Learn more about Jim at https://brainfiller.com/about-jim-phillips/