Merck, a truly global company, with around 51,000 employees in 66 countries chose Electrical Safety UK to help them with their new Global Electrical Safety Standard.
Merck’s requirement appeared straight forward, but in fact, were complex. They wanted to set a high standard for electrical safety in their plants around the World. Some of the 20 subject areas included were:
- Electrical Safety – isolation/live working/competency management/authorisation
- Arc Flash and Electric Shock Risk Management
- Electrical Maintenance – tasks and frequencies based upon failure mode effects analysis
- Grounding/Earthing – design and maintenance/testing guidance
- Portable Appliances – guidance on use and testing
Some of the Standard was goal setting, reflecting the different levels of compliance that could be achieved in the different geographic locations. Some of the Standard was mandatory reflecting the level of risk associated with the subject matter and also the business’ maturity with regard to certain aspects of Electrical Safety Management. The final draft is complete and out for comment, as is the Gap Analysis Tool we developed, to allow Merck to assess compliance at each individual plan. The Gap Analysis will help to guide improvement plans to improve Electrical Safety in this Global business.